Saturday, July 21, 2007

A Garage is a Garage is a Garage... NOT!

Garages are a specialty. Oddly, after deciding that I really wanted to focus on fellow gear heads, I find that there is more of a need than I thought. Personally, the garage has always been one of the first places I went to when looking at a house. I guess I enjoy it in the same way a cook enjoys the kitchen, and a movie buff enjoys the media room.

And then I catch a news story that garages are the new exercise room, kinda like pink is the new black. It seems that there are a lot of people like me that enjoy the time out in the garage. The garage make-over business has become huge. There are tons of products to enhance the storage, clear the clutter and generally beautify the garage. Of course, after getting it cleaned up, there are about 300 different flooring options ranging from industrial coatings worthy of a NASCAR shop, to snap together tiles that allow designs to be put on the floor. In fact, one of the garages I was in recently had the floor faux painted to look like Italian marble. Personally, I like the race shop look, but those coatings aren't fond of weld spatter and plasma slag (that's right kids, plasma is not just for TVs). I'll probably end up with acid washed, polished concrete. It looks cool, and it will stand up to most everything. But I digress.

Back to the topic. Garages aren't just a place to store the car for some of us. It is more of a combination shrine, workshop and trophy room. It's a place to work on the latest project, and hang out tossing BS with a few friends. It's a place to recharge the spiritual batteries... and the battery from the lawnmower, occasionally.

So, as we walk through, we look at how many receptacles there are, and where they are, how many are 220 volt, and what type of lighting there is. We look at the layout of doors and windows, just like many would in a living room. We look for cable or satellite jacks (I told you we like to hang out in the garage). We look at the size of the doors (I drive a truck that is 8 1/2 feet wide, and 6 1/2 feet tall, and my last Jeep was 6' 9"... in a world of 6' 8" doors). Just as my wife would mentally place our furniture in the family room, I place my projects, tools, and parts in the garage. I wonder if the space will work as I need it.

So, if you are a car buff, and looking for new digs in the Gwinnett area, look me up. If you are an agent that has a car-centric client, keep the above in mind.

I look forward to your comments.

No comments: