Sunday, July 22, 2007

Moab, UT. My Happy Place

I want to write about my happy place. Moab, Utah.

I first went out to Moab with a friend back in 1997. We delivered a Jeep to Salt Lake City, and stopped in Moab for a couple days of 4wheeling before giving it over to the owner. We had permission... really.

Aside from having a great time driving across the country, we both decided that we loved 4wheeling in Moab. The scenery is awesome. The obstacles are incredible, and the traction is amazing. And there is good food, too. Don't forget that Moab is on the edge of Arches National Park, and Canyonlands National Park.

I've made the trek again... and again... and again. I went back in 1997 again with my own Jeep. I drove it on the 4000 mile round trip, and 4 wheeled for a week while out there. In 2000 and 2003, I towed my Jeep out there along with another Jeep. Each ride has attracted a little bigger group than the last. I think we had around 14 trail rigs on the 2003 trip.

Aside from the 4wheeling, we have rafted part of the Colorado River, took purely scenic drives, visited other areas nearby, and enjoyed some great food.

BTW, I recommend the Moab Brewery for casual dining, and the Sunset Grill for a little more formal atmosphere.

No comments: