Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Gwinnett County Schools looking at a major redistricting

I'm a little late to the party on this, but I would bet that there are a lot of people that were even further out of the loop than me...

The Gwinnett County (GA) Schools are looking at a major redistricting. I have put them in the list based on the High School Cluster. Some of the schools affected are elementary, some are middle schools, others are high schools. The clusters that look to be affected are:

  • Grayson
  • Mill Creek
  • Lanier
  • North Gwinnett
  • Central Gwinnett
  • Dacula
  • Grayson
  • Archer
  • Mountain View
  • Collins Hill

Here is a link to the information on the Gwinnett County School System website.

It looks like there are a few Elementary Schools that will be affected in 2008, and then the bulk of the plan will be taking effect in 2009. In all, there will be 12 new schools added, and 3 replacement schools.

The Board of Education held public comment meetings on November 13th and 15th. They will be issuing their decision on December 13th.

While wandering a little deeper in the school system's website, I came across their future projections. On this page, I see that the school system projects (conservatively) that they will need 35 new schools before 2012. By my math, it looks like the recently proposed changes only cover 1/3 of that need, so I would expect more of the same.

No comments: